Squid in American sauce, step by step
It seems that the calamari in American sauce, and consequently the American sauce, are not really native to the continent that its name suggests.
It is said that the American sauce has its origin in a recipe that It sounds very similar to its name: Armorican sauce. The region of the Armorica is in the north of the French Brittany, and therefore, this places our recipe in a totally unexpected place.
Recipe of calamari in American sauce
Guess what ? For this recipe we are going to need a lot of tomato sauce. So, what better than a good homemade tomato recipe? That's why I leave here the link to our tomato sauce recipe.
With regard to squid, buy them fresh and tell the fishmonger to clean them to save you a little time.
Squid in American sauce recipe
Tips for calamari in American sauce unforgettable
- If you do not like spiciness, you can replace chili pepper or red chili with a couple of teaspoons of sweet paprika. If you prefer, you can also replace the pepper with a teaspoon of Tabasco sauce.
- To add more color and flavor to the sauce, you can add some cuttlefish ink, if you have it.
- This same recipe also works for cooking octopus, so if you want to change the dish one day, go ahead: it will be excellent.
- If you want the sauce to thicken or shrink, you can let it the dish is cooked a few additional minutes, towards the end of the recipe, removing the lid of the pan.
- In principle, the original American sauce should be prepared with a base of fish fumet. Certainly, adding this ingredient would give much more pleasure to the dish, although it would take more time to be ready. In any case, it's a great idea, so I'll leave you with our recipe for fish broth, in case you need it.
- You can accompany these calamari in American sauce or with a simple white rice , so as not to waste a drop of the sauce.
- There are those who, instead of using the liquors mentioned in the list of ingredients, prefer to add dry white wine, when they prepare the squid.